Many people aren’t sold on the idea that foods do help boost libido. Even experts are not on the page when it comes to this heated matter. Let’s just think about it this way: Food is part of your everyday life. It gives nourishment and fuel, so your body can keep working properly. If you’re not giving your body the proper nutrition, you’re likely to suffer from various health conditions that can affect sexual function, too.
Moreover, eating heart-healthy foods may improve blood flow and therefore, increase sexual arousal. Are you still skeptical? Here is the eye-opening revelation of five secret connections between food and sex drive:
1. Eating Too Much Protein Affects Libido
A healthy diet should include ample amounts of protein, as it is responsible for many body functions mainly growth, development, repair and a strong immunity.
Sufficient amounts of protein are also necessary for testosterone production, particularly in men. Protein is a macronutrient, meaning you have to take it in large quantities. According to research, vegetarian and elderly men with low intake of protein may suffer from a decline of sexual functions. On the other hand, many people tend to overeat protein sources,which may indirectly affect sex drive and libido.
People who excessively consume protein are at risk for weight gain, development of kidney stones, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke and some types of cancer. These are health conditions that may have physical and psychological implications,which can diminish your sexual functions. Eating too much protein for dinner can also make it difficult for you to sleep, and you’ll end up exhausted the next day, therefore in no mood for sex.
A woman not engaged in doing strenuous activities may eat 46 grams of protein a day, while men in the same category should consume 56 grams. For some experts, this recommended amount may not be sufficient for all because protein intake largely depends on your current health state, activities, age and muscle mass. You may also need to take more protein if you are aiming for bulky muscles.
Aside from quantity, choosing quality protein sources is also important because some of may be high in fat and carbs. Meat, eggs, oily fish, dairy products, fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, lentils and seeds are good sources of protein. If you eat meat, get rid of the fatty parts. Salmon and other oily fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids as well, a nutrient excellent for heart health. Limit intake of oily fish to not more than twice a week, though.
2. Too Much Sugar Intake Dampens Sexual Desire And Arousal
Carbohydrates are your body’s source of energy, not only for your daily activities, but also for internal body functions, such as brain function.
If want to last through some rough steamy sex, then you might need to amplify your energy levels with carbs.
Carbohydrates are classified into two types: simple and complex. Simple carbs come from white flour and usually contain a large amount ofprocessed sugar that is quickly absorbed by the body, which can cause asudden sugar spike.The constant rise in your blood sugar makes you at risk of diabetes, obesity, atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular diseases, all of which can affect the blood flow, which, in turn, will dampen sexual desire and arousal.
Candies, carbonated drinks, white bread and pastries with refined white flour are sources of simple carbs.Fruits also have natural carbs and sugars,but they are obviously a healthier choice since they contain other necessary vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Whole grains, starchy vegetables, avocados, and seeds are sources of complex carbohydrates.
If you can’t resist a sweet treat, opt for dark chocolate. It obviously has less sugar than milk chocolate, and it is known to be an aphrodisiac.
3. A High-Sodium Diet Limits Blood Flow
Eating too much food high in sodium can also negatively affect your bedroom romp. A high sodium diet leads to high blood pressure,which can ultimately damage blood vessels until blood flow becomes limited.
Reduced blood flow due to high blood pressure is one of the common causes of erectile dysfunction in men. It also causes low libido, less sensitivity in the genital area and difficulty achieving orgasms in women.
4. Eating Too Many Foods High In Cholesterol Leads To Poor Sexual Health
Saturated fats are the main culprit for the build-up of plaque in blood passageways, since it raises bad cholesterol levels in the body.
Plaque can inhibit blood flow and make you at risk for heart disease, stroke and of course, poor sexual health.
Saturated fats are normally found in food such as red meat, chicken with skin, cheese and butter. You don’t have to exclude these food types in your diet completely. What you need to do is limit your intake and eat more of healthy sources of fat such as fruits, veggies, fish, poultry, low-fat dairy products and nuts.
5. Some Foods Are Aphrodisiacs
Nothing beats a healthy diet when it comes to enhancing and keeping your libido normal. A good overall health ensures better sexual functions. However, here are some foods labeled as aphrodisiacs that might give your libido a boost:
- Watermelon: This summer fruit contains amounts of L-citrulline, which your body converts into arginine. It is an amino acid that helps dilate blood vessels by increasing nitric oxide in the body.
Arginine also plays a part in maintaining hormone function necessary for sexual functions. Other foods high in arginine are red meat, poultry, fish, dairy products, grains, nuts,seeds, and garlic.
- Oysters: No doubt, if a man sees an oyster, the first thing that may come to mind is a woman’s unmentionable parts. Apart from its suggestive appearance, oysters are excellent sources of zinc,which boosts testosterone production and plays a part in improving libido. Women need testosterone, too. A romantic setting with oysters and red wine will surely lead to a warm night. Other sources of zinc are lean beef, wheat germ, spinach, pumpkin seeds, cashews and mung beans.
- Pomegranates: This fruit is high in antioxidants, which protect the blood vessel lining. This, inturn, ensures better blood flow,which increases your genital’s sensitivity to stimulation. You’ll be easily aroused, and sensations during sex will be better.
- Red Wine: A glass of red wine will surely help you relax after a long busy day, but that’s just it and nothing more. Red wine contains resveratrol, an antioxidant that promotes blood flow. Red wine contains alcohol, too, and if taken in large amounts will end up putting you in bed far from sober.
Experts are not in agreement with the idea that certain foods can be potent libido boosters. One thing is for sure, though – food provides nutrients for normal body functions and good health,which are all essential for sexual health.
It may not be an instant cure for all the sexual issues a healthy diet will surely help, but it is a step in the right direction. The best way to fix sexual problems is by making positive lifestyle adjustments for healthier living.